If you find mold as you clean your home or move furniture out of storage, it’s important that you don’t attempt to clean it yourself. While attempting to clean mold yourself, you may be doing nothing more than disturbing the spores and making them airborne. Once you’ve done this, the airborne spores can go on to settle into another room of your home and re-colonize within as little as one day. In addition to that, unless you have the proper gear, you will be inhaling many spores and putting your health at risk.
Chlorine Bleach DOES NOT kill mold, it merely BLEACHES it – meaning that it takes away the color of the mold.
Chlorine Bleach does kill bacteria and kill viruses, but has not been proven effective in killing molds on non-porous surfaces. Bleach itself is 99% water. Water is one of the main contributors of the growth of harmful bacteria and mold. Current situations using bleach re-grew and regenerated mold and bacteria twice the CFU counts than were originally found before bleaching, within a short period of time. Bleach is an old method used for some bacteria and mold. It is the only product people have known for years.
It is best to leave mold removal or remediation to the professionals. Call your local restoration company to have them test and properly remove the mold from your home.